Orthodontics is the specialty of dentistry that corrects dental malocclusions.
Orthodontists are specialists in charge of directing your orthodontic process. They are the only professionals qualified to perform smile design and improve dental malpositions.
One of the classic procedures in this branch of dentistry is the placement of braces.
Braces are fixed devices that adhere to the teeth using an adhesive and are joined together by placing an arch that exerts pressure.
There are metal and ceramic braces. There are also lingual brackets and removable aligners such as Invisalign.
If you want to learn more about this treatment, keep reading. We will present you with six facts about braces you should know before starting this procedure.
Let us begin!
6 facts about braces you should know
1. Orthodontics is not a recent procedure: Its beginnings date back to the 17th and 19th centuries. Pierre Fauchard and John Nutting Farrar took the first steps into modern orthodontics. However, the technique was very rudimentary.
2. You can start this treatment at any age: Yes! Many people believe that this procedure is only applicable in childhood or adolescence, but this is not true. You are always on time to improve your bite, regardless of your age. It is never too late!
3. The application time of orthodontics has significantly decreased: Thanks to the technical advances of recent times, the treatment time is much less than before. Even so, you could be wearing your braces for several years. But it will all depend on the severity of your case.
We want to remind you that the success of the treatment will depend on following the instructions and consultations with your orthodontist.
(And, again, on the characteristics of your case!).
4. You can talk with your braces: Many people are afraid of not communicating effectively with this treatment, but there is no need to worry. After using it for a while, you will adapt and talk as you always do!
5. You can eat normally, but carefully: As with speech, many people have a great fear of losing the chance to taste their favourite foods. One thing is true about this, and we do not recommend eating large pieces of food or sticky foods. But if you are careful, cut your food into small pieces and clean your braces well after eating, you can consume everything you want!
6. The hygiene of the appliances is essential: There are specific orthodontic brushes that will allow you to access the corners of the brackets. You can also buy orthodontic heads for your electric toothbrush. We recommend that you take special care in this regard because this device in itself can generate more plaque on your teeth. And this, without proper care, can lead to cavities or a case of gingivitis.
This treatment provides excellent results to those who receive it. Their smile improves considerably and benefits the patient both functionally and aesthetically.
If you are considering starting a treatment like this, do not hesitate!
We are sure that you will be satisfied with your decision and have a better and bigger smile!