Are you thinking of improving your smile? Porcelain veneers may be the ideal option. What are the pros and cons of porcelain veneers? We will tell you in this article with detailed and complete information of your interest.
Types of dental veneers:
They are fast and cheap. However, resin veneers lose shine and colour after a while. They also wear out quickly and break easily. For this reason, a touch-up is usually needed at 5-8 years.
Ceramic veneers are durable. They do not change colour, do not lose shine, and do not wear.
However, since a laboratory technician manufactures them, their cost is higher than resin veneers.
For its placement, several sessions with the dentist are necessary. Usually, in the first session, the dentist makes the mould. Later in a second session, the dentist may adjust the measurements. The third session is when the dentist places the veneers on the patient’s tooth.
When is it good to get veneers?
The reasons for indicating porcelain veneers are:
- Tall smile,
- short teeth, worn teeth
- fractured teeth.
- Very low aesthetics.
- Desire to optimise the smile.
When isn’t recommended to get veneers?
- When the enamel is not healthy.
- In the case of crowded teeth
- When the patient has gum loss.
- When there is dental mobility.
- When the patient has irregular gums.
Steps for the placement of ceramic veneers.
1.- Thoroughly analyse the patient’s teeth. During this step, the dentist examinate the best shape, colour, and position of the veneers. The dentist helps choose what suits the patient should also be analysed in detail. Finally, veneers are chosen depending on the expectations and wishes of the patient.
2.- Place provisional veneers so that the patient can assess whether they like them or not.
3.- Place the final veneers.
What care is given to porcelain veneers?
To take care of your porcelain veneers, you should:
- Brush after every meal.
- Have a proper brushing technique.
- Do not pull or open things with your teeth.
- Avoid tobacco.
- Moderate sugar.
- Take care when chewing.
What are the pros of porcelain veneers?
- Increase self-esteem.
- Allow you to smile without discomfort.
- Hide imperfections.
- They adapt perfectly to your teeth.
- They do not lose shine.
- They don’t wear out.
- It allows covering some defects of shape and colour.
- You can design your smile with the colour and shape you want.
- They are placed in a single query. This means that putting the veneers in the teeth is done in a single day.
- They have a long duration.
- They are made with the most resistant material.
What are the cons of porcelain veneers?
- They are usually expensive.
- Can cause tooth sensitivity
- In some cases, the veneer placement treatment requires prior aesthetic contouring.
- They are not recommended in cases of bruxism or people with unhealthy enamel.
- In the case of crowded teeth, it is necessary first to undergo orthodontics.
- They cannot be placed in patients with gum loss.
Ensure a beautiful, natural, and personalised smile! Do you have any questions about pros and cons of porcelain veneers? Reach out to our dentists in Hornsby.